Friday, August 22, 2014

Philadelphia Area Project on Occupational Safety and Health (PhilaPOSH) Makes Opportunities Possible: Worker Well-Trained to Land Job in Building Trades



For Philadelphia native Darrell Hendricks, training provided by the Philadelphia Area Project on Occupational Safety and Health, and funded through a Susan Harwood Grant awarded by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, was key to his career change from youth services to construction. "I was seeking employment in the building trades, and I knew the PhilaPOSH training would prepare me. It definitely gave me a chance to compete and qualify for the position," Hendricks said. The fall protection training he took at a local church not only equipped him with the resources he needed to successfully land a well-paying building trades job, it also boosted his confidence about his ability to stay safe each day in a dangerous industry. "My first job involves helping to build an intensive care hospital for children," Hendricks said. "I feel that my passion for serving youth is being fulfilled in a different capacity." PhilaPOSH has been a Susan Harwood grantee since 2007 and has trained more than 2,400 people on fall protection in Philadelphia and the surrounding area.

No comments:

Post a Comment